Thursday, August 21, 2008

Countdown to Another School Year

I so look forward to warm weather. I can hardly wait to dig in the dirt once again and see plants coming up out of the ground. In May, I crack my window open so I can hear the birds and I yearn for the school year to be over. The stress level is so high that I just want to breath in some fresh air and feel the sun on my face. Finally June arrives and all I want to do is sing! I am so happy to have time away from that stress!

And then before I know it, the summer is gone and I am facing minutes left until the stress begins again!

Just imagine if I didn't love my job!!!

I have spent 30 some years going through the same ritual spring to summer to fall...year after year. When I was a teacher and a young mom, I felt as though the end of summer was like the end of my freedom. In those days, I actually had the summer months off! Blessed time with my kids! Then as a principal, I thought that summers would be a time to bring back the order to an office that had gone miserably out of order! Instead, all the days that I worked went towards making plans for that next school year. The piles remained until the last minute still and in a rush during this last week, I would find a place for all that stuff so that it looked like I had spent the summer in blissfull organization. Then, when I moved to the District Office, I thought for sure that this would be the time that summers would be relaxed. Come in late...leave early...that sort of thing! Guess what, it never happens. 100+ interviews later, I am now sitting here thinking, as usual, "if I only had just a little more time."

It doesn't matter, teacher - principal - director of instruction, whatever the role, come August you stop sleeping! The stress has begun again for another year!

No comments: