Thursday, February 16, 2012

I Hear and I Remember


Have you ever heard a song and instantly been transported back to a place and time when that song played?  That's what happened to me this morning.

I heard "Hey Jude" by the Beatles and instantaneously I was at a high school dance in a church basement!  It was a Friday night.  I had such a crush on the guy I was dancing with.  I never wanted the song to end.  How is it that I can remember all of that?

People experience things in different ways.  For me, music seems to be the one avenue to lock things into my memory for years.  I memorized the multiplication tables from a series of rhythmic songs on little 45's. I figured out how to remember the plays of Shakespeare by developing a verse.  Perhaps American History would have been easier for me if I had been able to hear the roots music of the time.

I have been writing/reflecting on people in my life and find that I want to connect them to specific songs or performers.  For instance, when I think of my dad, the song that comes to mind is "Tumbling Tumble Weeds" by the Sons of the Pioneers.  When I think of my mom, I think of the Lawrence Welk show.


And on and on the memories go.

So today,  although I have never been a musician,  my thought is that I am so grateful for the music in my life.  It seems to be the rhythm of my memories!

No comments: